Sunshine in my shadows

Welcome to sunshine in my shadows. This blog is my space to share all the stuff that makes up my every day life. Family, friends, crafts, recipes, books and all the little things that add 'sunshine to my shadows'. We all have a sprinkling of sunshine and an equal sprinkling of shadows in our lives. Hopefully you will find more sunshine than shadows to read about here and on the days when shadows fall, know that the sunshine is peeking just around the corner!


Copyright allthingschristmas.com

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Saving Max...

Saving Max by Antoinette van Heugten first attracted my interest when I read a review in "Good Reading" magazine. The reason it caught my eye was because one of the main character's, Max, has Asperger's syndrome. I have two children on the autism spectrum so am always interested to see how characters with autism are portrayed in books.

The book kept me interested from start to finish and whilst some of the plot seemed a little unrealistic to me on the whole this was an excellent book and I would highly reccomend it as a riveting read. I have asked myself if the book would have been so riveting if my own children did not have autism and I believe the plot still holds as a fabulous read.

The basis of the story is how far will a mother of a child with autism go to protect her son when he is accused of murder? The plot contains enough twists and turns to keep the reader turning the pages with baited breath to find out the end result. I'm not going to spoil the book by sharing the ending here but I will say that there were totally unexpected elements in the plot line that kept me guessing to the very end.

I was not surprised to read that Antoinette van Heugten has a child with autism as I felt she did a good job of portraying some of the characteristics of a child on the autism spectrum. If you choose to chase up "Saving max" I think you will enjoy it although part of the plot does cover some distressing and disturbing areas of human behaviour.
wishing you sunshine in your shadows and happy reading
Helen

3 comments:

  1. will look out for the book thank you Helen - I love reading books that my kindred spirits have loved.

    Love and hugs,

    Linda. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda,
    Thank you so much for reading and reviewing my novel on your blog! I am always excited to hear from other moms with autistic children and wish you and your family a wonderful New Year.
    Sincerely,
    Antoinette van Heugten

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda I think you might enjoy it although I must warn some bits are very gruesome.

    Antoinette thank you for visiting my blog and for your good wishes for my family. May you and yours be blessed likewise. Only other parents of children on the autism spectrum can truly understand the challenges we face daily.

    Hugs
    Helen

    ReplyDelete