Sunshine in my shadows

Welcome to sunshine in my shadows. This blog is my space to share all the stuff that makes up my every day life. Family, friends, crafts, recipes, books and all the little things that add 'sunshine to my shadows'. We all have a sprinkling of sunshine and an equal sprinkling of shadows in our lives. Hopefully you will find more sunshine than shadows to read about here and on the days when shadows fall, know that the sunshine is peeking just around the corner!


Copyright allthingschristmas.com

Monday, January 3, 2011

We're all going to the zoo....

Well actually we went yesterday but I was too worn out to post by the time we came home. My partner played chauffeur and took my daughter's friend Li and myself to the Werribee Open Range zoo. My daughter was not feeling well and stayed at home. It was a first visit for all of us and I enjoyed it a lot. I think I still love the Melbourne zoo better but maybe that is because I adore the elephants and gorillas, which they did not have at Werribee. Apparently they have gorillas coming soon, we saw the excavations of a new enclosure earmarked for them.

We had a lovely day and enjoyed the bus trip around the larger herbivores including bison, zebras, hippo and giraffes. The highlight of the bus trip was seeing the rhinoceros mating! This sight quickly turned a bus load of adults into giggling children and was observed with great interest by the youngsters on board. I thought perhaps we were quite privileged to witness the mating of this intimidating and formidable endangered species.

After our bus trip we wandered around the exhibits of smaller animals and carnivores.
The meerkats were another popular exhibit and seemed as curious about people as people were about them. They are dear looking little creatures and I had to stop myself thinking what a wonderful pet they would make. Many endangered species are endangered due to being taken from the wild to be sold as exotic pets.

I always have mixed feelings about animals in zoos, the conservation value versus the cruelty of having wild animals kept in enclosures that are many times smaller than their natural territory in the wild. The cheetah at the zoo paced up and down and I couldn't help but wonder if he had ever known the joy of running at his full stride and top speed. Nonetheless all the animals looked well cared for and seemed healthy looking.

It isn't a cheap day out visiting the zoo but well worth the cost.(I imagine it IS very expensive to run a zoo and keep the animals happy and healthy) It was a wonderful day out, I learned a lot of things about various animals and I would definately go again. We all came home happy if a little sunburned despite our hats. (mental note to remember sunscreen next time)
wishing you sunshine in your shadows
Helen
* If you would like more information about any of our fabulous zoos here is a link
http://www.zoo.org.au/Default.aspx?DN=ac7a272b-6304-4228-a162-731ba6dd45e8











2 comments:

  1. New follower here lovely to meet you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nelly welcome to my little blog. I hope you enjoy your visits. It's wonderful to make new bloggie friends. :) Thanks for reading back through some older posts. I'm still getting my blog started, glad you found something that interested you here.

    ReplyDelete