Sunshine in my shadows

Welcome to sunshine in my shadows. This blog is my space to share all the stuff that makes up my every day life. Family, friends, crafts, recipes, books and all the little things that add 'sunshine to my shadows'. We all have a sprinkling of sunshine and an equal sprinkling of shadows in our lives. Hopefully you will find more sunshine than shadows to read about here and on the days when shadows fall, know that the sunshine is peeking just around the corner!


Copyright allthingschristmas.com

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Old fashioned favourites....

My inner domestic goddess came out to play again yesterday and I decided to bake a cake for afternoon tea. I made a Cinnamon tea cake, a good old fashioned favourite that is so easy to make I don't know why we ever buy cake from the shops. The smell of a baking cake is so yummy and you just can't beat the taste! I almost forgot to take a photograph and when I went back to take one somebody had already snaffled a piece of still hot from the oven cake. Usually I would bake this in a round tin but could only find the loaf pan so had to make do.
Cinnamon Tea Cake
1 cup Self raising flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 egg
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
vanilla essence
1 1/2 tablespoons butter, softened
extra butter melted

1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon sugar

Beat softened butter with sugar until smooth and creamy. Add egg and vanilla essence and beat well.
Sift flour, cinnamon and nutmeg and add to bowl alternately with milk. Mix well after each addition with a wooden spoon. Pour into a small greased cake tin, round or a loaf tin is fine. Use baking paper to line tin if desired. Bake in a moderately hot oven for 30 minutes or until done. A skewer inserted should come out clean. Mix cinnamon and sugar together. Brush hot cake with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar mix. ENJOY!
**Recipe adapted from the Australian Family Circle Cookbook.

Wishing you sunshine in your shadows
Helen

6 comments:

  1. Yum, one of my favourites..now just to get Carl to fix the oven, its only been 8 months..hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post Helen and your cake looks magnificent - I think it is lovely that family couldn't wait to eat it - it would upset us if the family didn't eat what we baked.

    wishing you and those you love a very happy and blessed Easter season.

    Love and hugs,
    Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so yummy.
    I love the old favourites and the smell of cinnamon sugar is heavenly.
    Will be trying this adapted version, Happy Easter

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tam I was without a stove for almost a year in my old house. It nearly drove me nuts lol. Now I'm here and we only have the fire going for about 6 months of the year so I like to take advantage and bake when I can. Hope you get your oven back soon.
    Have a safe and Happy Easter.

    Thanks Linda and yes at least I know I'm not a bad cook when they eat everything I bake LOL. Hope you enjoy a blessed Easter too. Hugs xx

    Lynne Happy Easter and do try the recipe. It really is so simple and easy and really doesn't have much by way of ingredients in it so it's quite economical too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Helen... oh, the cake just looks yummy. I think I can smell it all the way to the Pacific Northwest of the good old USA. I was looking at your blog and oh I adore you buttons. I enjoy your blog! Thanks for posting on mine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda thanks for stopping by. Isn't blogging wonderful for sharing each other's treasures? I love your teacups! Happy Easter :)

    ReplyDelete